Moving is a hectic experience. Whether you’re heading to a new state, or sending your child off to college, there seems to be an endless list of things to remember! Unfortunately one of the most important things to remember when moving is one of the tasks that gets forgotten the most: choosing the best new auto repair shop.
Why is it important to take the time to choose a new auto repair shop when moving?
It’s always a good idea to start searching for a new auto repair shop in the area that you or your child is moving to before you need one. Why? Because making a sound decision is more difficult when you are faced with a broken down vehicle. If you wait until your car breaks down to find an automotive shop, odds are you aren’t going to choose one that will give you the most bang for your buck. At this point you’re more concerned with getting your car repaired as quickly as possible, rather than the quality or convenience that you could be enjoying. Intelligent decisions are made after evaluating the facts. Emergencies create an emotional environment that thwarts clear and decisive action.
When choosing a new shop, ask these questions first:
1. Is your facility a AAA Approved auto repair shop? Becoming AAA Approved is a rigorous process, and shops have to provide excellent customer service to remain approved.
2. How long has your shop been in business? It’s a good sign when a shop has been around for a while, otherwise how do you know they will still be in business long enough to honor any warranties they offer?
3. Do you operate a drug-free environment? Quality car repairs require clear heads.
4. Are your mechanics ASE Certified Technicians? Higher quality repair shops make sure all of their technicians are certified and experienced.
5. Do you have any transportation options available for me? When you drop your car, truck, SUV, minivan or hybrid vehicle off for repairs, it’s much more convenient if the shop you choose has a free shuttle service or loaner cars available so you’re not stuck without a ride.
6. Do you have a clean work environment? Good automotive shops will keep their facilities clean and tidy. After all, if they can’t properly take care of their shop, how can you expect them to properly take care of your automobile?
7. Do you have the latest automotive technology and equipment? It’s important that they have the right tools to diagnose and fix your specific vehicle make and model right the first time. This will save you a lot of time and hassle.
Other important things to remember when making your decision:
- Do not shop just on prices. If you find an auto service at one shop that is offered much cheaper than at all of the other shops, there is usually a reason for that. This shop probably doesn’t include as much with that service, and the quality of the repair or the mechanics may not be as good. When you find an auto repair shop that you can trust and build a relationship with, you’ll never have to worry if your missing out on quality or getting overcharged.
- Don’t judge a book by its cover. Many people think that a small auto shop will give you a better price on services. While shopping locally is always a good idea, choosing a shop simply because of it’s size does not have much merit these days. You will find that the larger local automotive shops are more equipped and trained to give you the very best value for your dollar.
Questions to ask yourself after your first visit with a new auto shop:
1. Were the estimates I was given accurate compared to the final bill?
2. Was the job completed on time?
3. Did my vehicle get fixed right the first time?
4. Did they give me the warranty that they advertised?
5. Overall, was the experience comfortable, informative and pleasant?
6. Am I completely satisfied with this auto repair shop?
If you have any negative answers to the above questions, but you still think that the shop you visited was a quality facility, it’s important that you let them know of your concerns. If it is a good shop, they will do everything in their power to address your concerns and make things right. Building trust is key.
So the next time your family is gearing up to move, make sure you take the time to look for a quality new auto repair shop to keep your vehicles running right. It makes it much easier when your car breaks down to know exactly where to take it, rather than running around trying to locate a shop at the last minute!